Friday 14 August 2009

What a difference calligraphy and a seal can make

Do you remember this painting? When I first posted it I said that the calligraphy was missing and that I should work on it. It was a rather tricky one and I have no idea whether it is readable or not, but what a difference it makes! Adding the calligraphy and the seal seem to have completely transformed the initial painting. And if I decide to mount it, it will look different again. I love that with chinese painting: your painting isn't completely finished until it is mounted. It's as if your painting evolves between those various stages...


The haiku is by Tomiyasu Fusei and reads
'I love the rest of my life,
Though it is transitory,
Like a light azure morning glory'













I do apologise for the poor quality of the photo.. it is quite appalling!
Maybe those two will give a better idea of what I mean (although here the only difference is the seal...)

No comments: